Tidbits

Popular sweetener is toxic to dogs

Xylitol is a very popular naturally occuring sugar substitute which is used in chewing gum, breath mints, candy, baked goods and other desserts, toothpastes, vitamins and now even in over-the-counter and prescription drugs.  As beneficial as  it may be for those wishing to reduce sugar consumption, Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs – toxic to the point of causing seizures, liver failure, bleeding disorders and death.   There are many articles about the dire outcome of dogs ingesting Xylitol on the web and warning pet owners to be very aware of the ingredients in any “treats” you may want to share with your dog.  Now you also have to check the labels for xylitol in any drugs that you give your pets, especially in the liquid form, but check all ingredient labels to be on the safe side.  Be informed and aware to keep your dogs and all pets safe and healthy!